Sunday, December 12, 2010

FPS on Wii...Good or Bad?

Hey, everyone! I've been hooked on the remake of 007 GoldenEye for the Wii. Playing it as much as I have got me thinking about something. Are first-person shooters (FPS) on the Wii a good idea or a bad idea?

Sure, the Wii could be thought of as a more "family friendly" gaming console but it is still a console and deserves to have more mature games for more mature audiences. If we look at the other consoles, the XBox 360 released the Kinect recently in order to get a wider audience for their console. This means that there will also be more "family friendly" games for the console, too. But are developers going to stop releasing games for the 360 that are more for the "gamers" and "mature" audiences? The correct answer is...Nope. These games will still sell. The PS3 is also getting a motion feature to keep up in the console wars. But developers won't change their ways for the Sony's console either. So why should the Wii be treated any different?

GoldenEye 007 on the Wii handles very well. The controls feel smooth and natural. And there are options to adjust the controls to suit your fancy. This shows that FPS games can be developed for the Wii as long as enough effort is put into it. I also find that the controls of a FPS on the Wii can be a bit more real than on other consoles. I still prefer FPS games on the PC but the Wii controls simulated reality better. In reality, we can aim all over our field of view without turning our head. The same goes for the Wii. The motion control on the Wii allows the player to aim their gun all over the screen without moving the entire screen too much. FPS games on other platforms do not do this. Instead, they move the entire screen as though the players head and arms can not move independently of each other. This breaks the immersion a little. It doesn't break it enough to stop people from playing but it does make it feel a little less realistic.

We will have to see if the Kinect and PS3 Move will change FPS games on their consoles, but for now, let us just think about FPS games on the Wii. Are FPS games on the Wii a good idea or a terrible one? My personal opinion...a good idea. I enjoy them very much and think that the controls are much easier and more natural to use.

Thanks for reading my blog. If you have any suggestions, I'm always open to ways I can improve my blog. If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to leave me a comment and I will try to answer it. Also, be sure to follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment