Friday, August 13, 2010

Star Wars and Steam!

Hey, everyone. My second game I am most looking forward to is Star Wars: The Old Republic. And today, the good people at BioWare have released some more information about the Jedi Knight class in the game.

The Jedi Knight class will be split into Guardian and Sentinel. The Guardian side of the class will be able to take more damage but will lack in the damage dealing. The Sentinel will not be able to take as much damage but will be able to deal a lot more damage than its Guardian counterpart. You can check out the Jedi Knight class here or watch the trailer for the Jedi Knight class below.


Please note that I do not own this video. It belongs to BioWare and Lucasarts.

Now, what makes this MMORPG stand out from the rest of the MMO's out there today? This MMO is fully voiced. FULLY VOICED! That means everything that any character in the game will say has actual audio to go with it! And the decisions you make with your character will affect your character's story. Even though I'm not quite sure how this will work with an MMO, I think that BioWare will be able to do it well because of their previous experience with things like this.

Although making the game fully voiced makes it easier for people who would rather listen instead of read, it also helps to make the game more immersive. This is not just a good thing, this is a great thing. The more immersive a game is, the harder it will be for people to stop playing it. As a game design student, I believe immersion is a key factor to think about when working on a game.

Come back at a later date for more updates on this game. On another note, Steam's QuakeCon 2010 Sale today is Doom. They are selling every Doom game for 66% off! Or you can buy the Doom bundle and save even more! Buying the bundle will give you every Doom game for $14.00! That's right. That's not a typo.

Thanks for reading my blog. Please, follow me if you liked the post (you can find that off to the right side). If you have any suggestions, I'm always open to ways I can improve my blog. If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to leave me a comment and I will try to answer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment